For 14 years running, our signature public walking tour has been the #1 Princeton attraction on TripAdvisor. Impressive, right? The New York Times, Chicago Tribune, and Washington Post have all written about it. Spoiler alert… they all say it’s…
What’s the best way to get into the holiday spirit and expand your knowledge of The Garden State’s most treasured town? Being chauffeured through the decked out neighborhoods and beautifully festooned streets in a warm trolley while an expert guide regales you with fascinating tales, of course!
About Our Princeton Trolley Tours
Just like Princeton evolves and grows, so do our tours. This year, we’ve completely redesigned our most popular experience with an expanded route that takes you deeper into the trove of Princeton’s historical sites, the lives of its prize-winning residents and the magnificent beauty of its hallowed grounds. Even repeat guests will be wowed and enlightened!
We begin at Updike Farmstead, as charming as a Currier & Ives print come to life. As the home of our Historical Society, it’s fitting that this farmstead overlooks the same unspoiled vista shared by George Washington when he defeated the British 240 years ago. (Plus, they have free parking!) As we chronicle the events that shaped one of America’s most educated towns (and best Ivy League University), you’ll ride in comfort through the architecturally significant neighborhoods of Paul Robeson, Albert Einstein, Grover Cleveland, Woodrow Wilson, Betsey Stockton, Andrew Carnegie, Robert Wood Johnson, Robert Oppenheimer, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Toni Morrison, Philip Roth, Michael Graves and more. Of course, the ginormous illuminated spruce tree in festively decorated Palmer Square is a must-see! Throughout the journey, our jolly guides highlight points of interest and keep you riveted with tales of noteworthy (and notorious) Princetonians, past and present.
Your tour ends back at Updike Farmstead, where you are invited to explore the museum’s collection, which includes special treasures from the Einstein home and more!
These tours are made possible by Callaway Henderson Sotheby’s International Realty and Mistral Restaurant, whose James Beard-nominated chef would be happy to complete your Princeton jaunt with a meal to remember!
This 1 hour guided experience requires all participants (including infants) must have a ticket to ensure we adhere to NJ commercial vehicle guidelines.
All customers may show their phone receipts and receive valuable discounts on the day of the tour:
- 10% off one item at the bent spoon ice cream shop
- $1 off any whole hoagie at Hoagie Haven
- 10% off at Olive’s
- 10% off lunch/dinner at Yankee Doodle Tap Room (excl. alcohol)
- 10% off any item at Dunkin Donuts at 86 Nassau Street
- Free Starbucks coffee w/any food item purchase from Starbucks at 100 Nassau Street
- Exclusive discounts at Princeton University Store
- 5% off non-sale items at Princeton Record Exchange
- 20% off for a Hoagie Haven T-shirt
Private tours available upon request
- THIS YEAR WE HAVE A NEW STARTING & ENDING LOCATION SO PLEASE MAKE A NOTE! Tours depart from the Historical Society of Princeton parking lot at 354 Quaker Road, Princeton, NJ 08540.
- All participants pay in advance of the tour. For individuals, payment is a one-time upfront payment. All individuals and groups may cancel within 48 hours with no penalty. All individuals and groups may cancel due to weather within 24 hours with no penalty. Individuals and groups requesting cancellations on the day of the tour or event will forfeit deposits and payments.